Thursday, July 1, 2010

USA HAPPY FREAKING BIRTHDAY!!



With an unpopular war going on, an unpopular president in the White House and an economy in crisis, sometimes we struggle to remember what makes this country great. July 4th should be a time to reflect on the positives, a day to celebrate our independence and recapture our patriotic spirit. For some of us, that may be easier said than done. This week I celebrate the greatness of America with gratitude and pride, but also with a mature understanding that greatness does not preclude grievous failure, nor does it consist in static perfection that is above criticism.

One of the many things I love about America is the American people, like American cuisine, they are an mixture of different cultures and traditions that, once on these shores, begin to blend together-borrowing from and lending to each other until they become the essence of that being known as the American.

As I have been pondering on the many things I love about America or being an American there were far too many to talk about individually so I compiled a list.

WHY I LOVE AMERICA:


I can go to any church I want to.
I don't have to go to church at all.
I can travel to the next town without "papers."
I can go to the grocery store and find a plethora of food.
I can go to the grocery store without the fear of being blown up.
I don’t have to get my opinion across by blowing myself up.
I can own property.
I can drive a car and go anywhere.
I do not need permission.
I can enjoy beautiful Montana sunsets.
I can save money.
I can spend money.
I can pay taxes to have the great roads and highways we have.
I can travel on large four lane highways in safety. (after our trip to Cancun I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS ONE!)
I have clean abundant running water.
I have a garbage pickup once a week.
I don't have to poo and pee in the backyard.
I have flush toilets.
I have safe food.
I have access to medical care even though it might be expensive.
I can work a job one day, quit, and move to another job the next day.
I can worship my God…or any god.
I can pursue my dreams.
I can have good oral hygine and expect others to have the same. (sorry England)
I can start a business.
I can end a business.
I can make all the money I want.
I can wear red, white, and blue and look SMOKIN' HOT in all three!
I can hire a lawyer who is for me.
I have due process of Law.
I have protection by Police.
I don't have to carry a gun.
I can own a gun or rifle.
I have the right to carry a gun.
I have the right to own a gun, typewriter, computer, and printing press.
I have the right to speak the truth.
I can call anyone…anywhere…without wiretaps on the phone.
I can pay my debts with Money or barter.
I can see any movie I want…or not want to watch.
I have an off switch on the television.
I have more that 70 channels to choose from on the television.
I can watch Football (Go Broncos)
I can buy anything I can afford.
I can get a bank loan for those things I cannot afford.
I can own a radio.
I can grow my own food and it is mine to eat or sell.
I can marry anyone whom I choose. (And I choosed a good one!)
I can have as many children as I want, or have none at all.
I can go to school.
I can get a college degree…in anything I choose.
I can be a leader.
I can run for office and impact the society.
I can criticize our leaders without repercussions.
I can own a newspaper, television or radio station.
I can own a house.
I can sell a house.
I can serve my country, but I don't have to if I choose not to.
I can vote.
I can get good phone service.
I can send a letter across town or across the nation.
I can send a letter anywhere without having it intercepted by authorities.
I can have an opinion and express them.
I can be for…or opposed to any political process.
I can succeed by the sweat of my brow.
I have the right or trial by jury.
I have the right to appeal a court decision.
I can say what I don't like about society.
I am free.
I have liberty.
I have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
I am afforded all the rights of an American.


So basically I love America…despite all its faults, blemishes, and spots, there are so many things I am grateful for that outweigh the bad. I also realize that there are a lot of people in the world who envy where I live. So Happy Birthday USA! Live it up, have a party, and lets all BLOW STUFF UP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment