Monday, March 15, 2010

Life Lessons

With all of the drama that has been going on with my family and friends over the course of the last year, I have come to realize a few things. First, no marriage is perfect. And it takes both parties working in the same direction, with the same goals, in a loving manner to get where you want to be. Second, every member of a family has their own personality. And just because you are family doesn’t mean you will get along.

I have also come to accept that no matter how bad I want a relationship with someone, if they aren’t willing to work for one, it isn’t going to happen. I have also learned that some relationships are just brain damage, and will literally suck energy and life from you.

My cousin Charlotte posted this poem as her status on Facebook the other day, and I really liked it.

As we grow up,
We learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down...
Probably will.
You will have your heart broken
more than once
and it's harder every time.
You'll break hearts too,
so remember how it felt when yours was broken.
You'll fight with your best friend,
and lose friends you thought you'd always have.have.
You'll blame a new love for things an old one did.
You'll cry because time is passing too fast
and you'll eventually lose someone you love.
So take too many pictures,
Laugh too much,
and love like you have never been hurt
Because every sixty seconds you spend upset
is a minute of happiness you'll never get back.


This poem is full of all kinds of “hard truths”. But life is hard, and we need to learn all of these lessons one way or another. I have decided to be happier on the inside. I think I am a pretty positive person, but I have found myself crying over dwindling relationships that I will probably never get back. No matter how many times I have written letters, sent cards, and left phone messages, it is all for not, when I am the only one working for it.

I am at a point in my life where I have realized; Who matters and who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will. So, I won’t worry about people from my past that made me frown, there's a reason why they didn't make it into my future!

I want to say a final goodbye to my fickle friends and a GREAT BIG THANK YOU, to those of you who have stuck with me, and continue to buoy me up when I am too tired to swim! I love you guys!

*Sorry if I seemed to ramble in this post, this has been on my mind for a while*

No comments:

Post a Comment